Jul
09
2007
0

Nipples n stuff

I dry-assembled the front suspension today to get the car rolling.
Just need to mount the discs and wheels and that end is done.

Had some fun with an angle grinder removing some unwanted bits (included the front tow point) to make it fit correctly.

I also found that the grease nipples on the beam are right in the way of the mounting brackets, but have been assured that the grease will stay in if they are removed :)

I will be designing some sort of bonnet lifting mechanism in the coming weeks so watch this space for some more CAD drawings :D

The work continues…

Written by Rob in: Buggy | Tags: ,
May
27
2007
0

Bought more bits

I have taken delivery of some new parts, some nice shiny 7″ front lights and a brake master cylinder, both from http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/. Mmm free delivery :)

I’m also thinking about engines and have decided to build one from scratch using a custom kit from http://www.vwspeedshop.co.uk/.

Just finalising some details about the size of components to use to decide the overall engine capacity to end up with. At the moment it’s looking to be between 1776 and 2017 cc, but I need to investigate torque levels and power curves some more.
Any advice for something thats a bit beefy and has quick acceleration without going overboard (I like my gearbox unbroken), greatly received.

Cheers!

Written by Rob in: Buggy | Tags: , ,
May
03
2007
0

French fibreglassing

Have today created a mould with Mel Hubbard to knock out some pods to house the rear lights. ‘Frenching’ them in.

Also created one pod and it’s perfect. Will be cutting it to size and begin chopping the rear of the buggy around to make them fit.
Also had a crash course in glassing and will be attacking the sidepods (blending them in) over the coming weeks. Work continues, if a bit slower than I’d hoped (darn bathroom:p).

Written by Rob in: Buggy | Tags: ,
Mar
18
2007
0

New year, new parts

Well it’s another year and I’m starting to rekindle the buggy build.
I’ve been dreading venturing into the cold, windy garage, but bought some new parts to get me started again.

After much deliberation, I have chosen the rear lights and bought them (not nasty LED ones, either!).

Mmm, clear indicators.

I have also got some new wheel bearings and wheel bolts so I can eventually add the rims and get it all rolling. This will make working on it a lot easier as I will have more room wheeling it out of the garage.

A minor setback, though. The front discs have been drilled to fit the wheels (6 holes at 12mm diameter *just* fit!), but unfortunately the pitch was drilled to 1.75, not 1.5. More holes to follow :)

Written by Rob in: Buggy | Tags: ,
Aug
13
2006
0

The return

Finally, I have taken delivery of the completed chassis (well hired a drop-side and driven 6 hours to pick it up 8O ).

Now I have it all back, I’ll be concentrating on sorting out my A-B car (audi coupe quattro) for the next couple of Months (damn bushes!) before starting work on the buggy properly.

Depending on the financial situation I’m hoping to get it to a rolling state before Christmas to be completed mid -2007, but I’ll keep you all posted!

Written by Rob in: Buggy | Tags: ,

Powered by WordPress | Design: TheBuckmaker.com WordPress Themes | Modifications: theGecko